May 30th, 2017

Last weekend I did have some minor success in morel hunting. It took a trip to Durham Regional Forest. At this stage, there were a number of already -crumbling specimens; too old to pick for the kitchen. Some were damaged. Anyway, there were enough of the good mushrooms for a decent meal.

[Best_Wordpress_Gallery id="44" gal_title="May_30_2017"]

I think that morel season is coming to a close. It's not just the date on the calendar. The trillium bloom is ending.



The forest canopy is now almost full. Oysters are starting to show. In my experience, this indicates a sure end to the morels.

It is worth mentioning that the first oysters are very meaty and mainly tan in color. Later in the season,  summer oysters are quite white and grow in big flushes.



I found a whole cluster of beautiful cup mushrooms. Although the soil was not overly sandy, I think it is the Sand-Loving Cup (Peziza amophila) or a very dark version of the Spreading Cup (Peziza repanda).

[gallery ids="3524,3525,3526,3527,3528,3529"]

I passed by the same Reishi mushrooms I mentioned in my May 20th post. They are coming along quite nicely and matured greatly in these 10 days. The white band on the edge is the growing area. Mature specimens are completely red-brown. I suspect this is the last I will see of them this year. These mushrooms are easily spotted from the main trail and usually picked up in their early stages of development.

[Best_Wordpress_Gallery id="45" gal_title="May_30_Reishi"]

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morels 2 (2016)

October 17, 2016

Morels 3 (Fiddleheads) (2016)