September 10th, 2016

My usual routine for the weekend is to go bright and early to the trails, trying to beat heath, joggers, bikers and hikers. This summer that worked pretty good, until this morning. I left my car parked on the side of the road and started into the woods under very minor drizzle. Considering that at this time it was still quite warm it was none of my concern. Some 20 minutes later the putter-patter of the rain become more pronounced and some heavy drops started to fall. Very soon the rains started for real and I was unpleasantly soaked from head to toe within a couple of minutes. I turned around and started back to my car as fast as I could. At the moment I reached for the door handle, like a miracle rain stop and within seconds there was sunshine!


During this ordeal I did manage to spot several Oyster patches and one beautiful, young Chicken of the Woods, prime for kitchen table (I actually spotted two, but the first one was too young and small). I went home and cooked my find.




[caption id="attachment_2674" align="alignnone" width="663"]dscn5882 A little bit to mature for my taste; I would not pick at this stage[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_2675" align="alignnone" width="663"]dscn5883 Perfect for kitchen table[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_2682" align="alignnone" width="663"]dscn5885 Cleaned and sliced Chicken of the Woods[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_2676" align="alignnone" width="663"]dscn5886 Sauteing in butter[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_2677" align="alignnone" width="663"]dscn5887 The end result[/caption]

On the web and in the literature you can find many recipes, descriptions and opinions regarding the quality and taste of the Chicken of the Woods mushroom. Generally it is not highly rated, and many sources quote it as barely edible. I think it is a real treat and if you follow this several rules I think you will agree with me:




  • pick only very young specimens; must be spongy to touch and bleed transparent liquid when cut

  • clean thoroughly, discarding any part that feels tougher and gives resistance to the knife; cutting should be like going through the butter

  • saute in butter on medium heat until golden on both sides

  • salt lightly only when it is out of the pan


 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morels 2 (2016)

October 17, 2016

Morels 3 (Fiddleheads) (2016)