August 18th, 2017

It is a common knowledge that mushrooms and rain go hand in hand, right? Well, this summer in Southwestern Ontario it does not seem to be the case. I did not check any official statistics but I am pretty sure that there was not a 3 day period without rain.

After quite disappointing start of the summer with absence of any significant growth of chanterelles, I expected boletes, puffballs, rusullas and milky mushrooms (especially orange milky mushrooms) to make up for that. The reality is quite different.

Up to this day puffballs are almost completely absent. I did not find a single giant puffball yet. Rusullas are rare and far between and therefore almost always attacked by slugs and bugs.



As far as lactarius goes I did find several Lactarius volemus and handful of Lactarius hygrophoides,  but certainly not enough even for a single meal.

Retiboletus ornatipes is present in significantly smaller numbers than usual, but still enough to collect a decent meal if you really try.



The one mushroom that did finally show up is oyster mushroom. Over the course of several days I found many small and medium growths, mainly on logs, but some on the living, upright trees, too. I would like to point out that oysters do not depend on rainfall. They take moisture from the wood itself.

[Best_Wordpress_Gallery id="62" gal_title="oysters_201708"]

There was some spectacular LBMs and bracket fungi around. Several of them were new to me and I am still trying to determine exact species.

[Best_Wordpress_Gallery id="63" gal_title="brackets_201708"]

The rain did lure out a number of newts. They are smallish, but if you pay attention they are out in many spots.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morels 2 (2016)

October 17, 2016

Morels 3 (Fiddleheads) (2016)