Milkcap Surprise

At the end of day I decided to go and check one of spruce groves that I rarely visit. It is couple of acres of quite young spruce, obviously planted with rows still visible on the ground.

Entering the woods I did not see any mushrooms. It is not easy to move through young spruce. A lot of bending and pushing of the branches is involved. After advancing some 50 meters with no results I decided to leave. At the last moment I noticed lonely Safron Milkcap and ventured a little further. When I squatted down and looked along the ground I discovered a huge patch covered with mushrooms. A little further there was another one, and another one.  This is what guides call "growing gregariously".


dscn6315dscn6319

It seemed that I missed "Mushrooming Window" a little bit. Most of the mushrooms were mature specimens of considerable size and already funnel shaped. When I checked even the mature specimens were totally bug free and in pristine shape. I estimate that within one hour it was possible to pick more than 20 pounds of exceptional quality mushrooms.


dscn6321dscn6317


I did not come prepared for this type of find. Lactarius mushrooms are brittle and should be picked into the basket without piling up too many rows. I had only my net bags and it took me some 20 minutes to pick approximately 5 pounds of mushrooms, keeping them in two bags.


Unloading showed some breakage and damage, causing green discoloration. That is actually confirming that found species is Lactarius deliciousus.


100_0744


I immediately cleaned and cut mushrooms into chunks, preparing them for pickling.


100_0745


One hour later everything was done and my winter supply of pickled Safron Milkcap was ready. For pickling any milkcap I use recipe from my favorite chef Alan Bergo substituting white vinegar with apple cider vinegar.


100_0747


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morels 2 (2016)

October 17, 2016

Morels 3 (Fiddleheads) (2016)