Morels 3 (Fiddleheads) (2016)

Temperatures dipped back to near zero over several nights.I tried  foraging in North York Regional forest with zero result.


The consolation price for the weekend of May 14th were fiddleheads. There is some controversial info on the web about fiddleheads. Some sources have a warning about carcinogenic compounds found in several species of fern.The fact is they are still  sold in grocery shops in Ontario. I limit my foraging to Ostrich Fern. It is easily recognized by 3 characteristics:




  • Dark green, almost bluish in color

  • Paper like membrane (visible on picture bellow)

  • Presence of characteristic spore bearing fronds


Anyway, I follow recommendation of Government of Canada and cook my fiddleheads thoroughly, just in case. The fiddlheads season is very short. The best way to preserve is to blanch(cook in boiling water 2 minutes, shock with cold water to stop cooking), dry and put in freezer bags).


Fiddleheads have a great, buttery taste and can be eaten as side dish or cooked vegetable.


DSCN3413DSCN3411DSCN3407


Finally, on May 19th did find some Morels, enough for an omelet.


DSCN3451DSCN3452


DSCN3476[1].JPG


The 2 giant ones were found by my son under the ash tree.


Picked the first of the year solitary cluster of Oysters.


DSCN3472.JPG


Comments

  1. In that top photo I also see ramps(wild leeks) and Herb Robert... Nice score!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or maybe not Leeks; perhaps they're Trout Lily? (Hard to tell on the small screen; )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't remember ramps at that point. I do forage for ramps, but usually later in the season when green part starts to wither. Mainly for pickling.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Morels 2 (2016)

October 17, 2016