May 20th, 2017

It is the Victoria Day long weekend. I was really busy the last 10 days and I was out of town for part of last week.  Nevertheless, I managed several walks through the woods, hoping to find some morels.  I must admit almost total defeat.  Altogether,  I collected a handful of mushrooms.



They are beautiful, but obviously well-hidden, at least from me.

On the other hand,  I encountered several different and beautiful specimens. I do not recall seeing them before and I did not have time to do some research to try to identify them. The first one looked superficially like a puffball, but when I cut into it (and it was quite tough), it seemed to be half empty.



This one was quite prolific and covered almost a whole log. Looks to me like the Pannelus stipticus, but I am not really sure.



This looks like some mushroom from the genus Schizophyllum, but I am not even remotely sure about that.



I noticed an absence of the Dryad's Saddle mushroom. Around this time of the year,  they are expected to be quite a common find. The Reishi is right on schedule. I inserted in this post a small gallery containing beautiful Reishi buttons and young mushrooms.  This mushroom winters on the hemlock trees and logs. Due to over-harvesting in my area, it is a real rarity to find mature specimen from last year's crop. There's a good example in the gallery.

[Best_Wordpress_Gallery id="42" gal_title="Reishi_May2017"]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morels 2 (2016)

October 17, 2016

Morels 3 (Fiddleheads) (2016)