September 1st, 2016

Last day of August I decided to check coniferous woods again.  Usually at this time Lactarius mushrooms start first flashes. I found two species:

Lactarius indigo (Indigo Milky)


This species is for me a good edible and can be found in great quantities, which make it a good candidate for drying and preserving. They are easy to spot and usually grow scattered under coniferous trees. At this time I always have a pair of gloves in my pocket and I strongly suggest that gloves are used when handling Indigo Milky. Luckily, latex is not abundant and sticky, but still mushroom handling stains fingers quite badly. The best to pick are mushrooms with still inrolled margins. When totally opened or funnel shaped they do tend to be very brittle and infested with bugs.




[caption id="attachment_2518" align="alignnone" width="663"]Perfect specimen for picking Perfect specimen for picking[/caption]

I try to use some kind of basket when Lactarius mushrooms are to be collected. In bags they tend to get broken and damaged. The stalks are frequently hollow and end up discarded.  The slugs love Indigo milky and many caps are damaged.




[caption id="attachment_2530" align="alignnone" width="663"]DSCN5426 Hollow and bug infested stalk of funnel shaped mushroom[/caption]

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="663"]DSCN5431 Slug damage[/caption]

 

Leucoagaricus  naucina (smooth Parasol)


This species I always find under coniferous trees, and it really loves pine and spruce. It can be abundant, but never creates fairy rings. Apparently, this is a good edible, but I never tried to eat it. The simple reason is similarity with some deadly amanitas. I do know it is not the amanita - no floppy ring, no cup at the base etc, but it is still too close for comfort.


DSCN5432 DSCN5438

 

At the end of the day I collected some 5 pounds of Indigo Milky mushroom. They were pickled using this recipe. This is the end result:

DSCN5451

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morels 2 (2016)

October 17, 2016

Morels 3 (Fiddleheads) (2016)